Sighted Guides and Communicator Guides
About our service
Our Sighted Guides and Communicator Guides are trained and experienced in guiding, communicating and appropriately supporting people with visual impairments and dual sensory impairments (deafblind) in the home and out in the community.
We aim to encourage independence, social integration, and assist with daily living tasks through support with activities such as:
- Help to make and attend appointments such as at the hospital
- Support with daily home tasks, such as assisting with your weekly food shop
- Assistance with correspondence
- Accessing facilities such as libraries, clubs and shops
- Undertaking leisure activities, including a walk in the park or visiting places of interest
- Help and encouragement to revisit past or new interests
“Thought I would let you know that Jacquie was excellent. Very dog friendly and extremely helpful. I do not know how you chose your Communicator Guides. But I would definitely be happy for Jacqui to be my Communicator Guide again.”
Ms RP, Chelmsford, May 2016
How does it work?
One of our team members will visit you to discuss your individual needs and explain how the guide service works. It is very flexible and tailored to meet your needs so you can choose to make regular bookings for example, or book as and when you need to.
The service is available five days a week Monday – Friday. Usual hours are 9.00am to 5.00pm however we offer flexibility and tailoring where necessary to allow for occurrences such as early or late appointments. Sessions can be booked for a minimum of one hour up to a full day.
The Guide service can be purchased either directly from your own funds or using your personal budget. It can also be commissioned from Social Care.
For pricing and information please contact our sensory service.